Wednesday, February 20, 2008

This cheeky grin...

...was giggling at me, right there on the face of my nudey bum boy sitting on the front window sill right after he locked me out of the house!!!

He dragged out his dinner eating and then when it was jarmie time he asked me very nicely if he could "be nudey for a little bit please?" Obviously trying to put off going to bed, but he asked nicely instead of the usual screaming demands at me so I decided, why not? What's the harm in a little nudey run? I normally wrap up his nappy and dirty clothes in the nappy square I change him on and put it by the back door (on the tiles) to take out as soon as he's in bed, however this time I thought "He's happy, I'll just take this nappy out straight away". As soon as I was out the back I heard it. SLAM! The back door. For a second I thought it was fine, but then I remembered we had come straight inside when we got home from childcare, too hot to play outside, I didn't bother latching the back door so it wouldn't lock, thinking we'd be inside until after Austy went to bed. My reaction was to call out to Austy, bang on the back door (as if THAT was going to help!) and try to open a window thinking I had opened them only a day or two ago and that they might still be unlocked. No luck, so I ran to the back fence and called to the only neighbours I know in desperation, not wanting to leave the yard while Austy was locked in the house. We managed to get a hold of Austy's "Gwampaaa" and he said he'd be around with the spare key soon. Meanwhile, back in the house, what had our boy been doing?

His reaction to the realization that I couldn't get to him was to cry at first, making my heart pound even harder and my shaking in stress and worry get worse. Luckily that only lasted for a few moments before a flashlight went off in his head. I swear he thought, "Hey Mummy can't stop me, I can do what I like!" He opened the bib and facewasher drawer, climbed on it like a step, got up on the bench and took off with the roller door remote. The whole time I was making phonecalls with the neighbour, I could hear the roller door going up, down, up , down...

After a short button war with him trying to get the roller door to stay up for long enough to let me out the front where I could see him, I sat and talked to him out the front where he was sitting there in all his glory watching the door obey his pressing. Our neighbour came around to wait with me, as I was quite shaken by the whole thing thinking of all the awful things that might happen while I couldn't get to him. He suddenly got a worried look on his face and told me he needed to go to the toilet. I told him quick - you can go to the toilet on your own like abig boy. He started crying wanting me to take him, then it was too late and the carpet was wet. I think that's the only thing that upset him about the whole event - the door had already kept him amused for at least 15 minutes. At last Andrew's Mum arrived to save the day, telling me that his Dad didn't realise the urgency but she knew that when I said I was locked out that Austy would be inside and came straight over. The annoying thing is we used to keep a key hidden outside until recently - it was still out in the kennel from when we had our rottweiler, thinking he would guard it well for us. As soon as we stopped keeping the key outside, it finally happened.

Here are some pics of the day before, us both happily outside TOGETHER!

1 comment:

LBA said...

That is the best grin EVER !!