Sunday, August 06, 2006

Our little explorer



Well it has been a couple of weeks since I last gave you all an Austy update. I'm not sure where the time has gone exactly, but we have just been enjoying our little boy.

The teeth saga is finally over for a little while as the 8 chompers he now has are well out of the gyums and the blisters he got on the inside of his upper lip (as a result of teething) are now healed too. We're managing to get him to eat solids again (other than fruit gel or yoghurt!) so as a result he's back to his happy self and also sleeping better during the day. Yesterday his morning nap went for a record 2.5hrs! I cleaned all the floors, did some washing, sat down and relaxed then actually got to do my hair and put make up on and get ready for my treck into the city in the afternoon. And then he surprised me with another hour nap while I chatted and had coffee with some friends!

He's been well on the move for about 2 weeks and Andrew's parents keep asking us if he's crawling yet. I say he is, because he can get very quickly from one room to another, but they say he's not as he doesn't crawl properly. Hey, who says you have to use your knees to crawl? Austy does a pretty good job using his toes instead and going two arms, two feet rather than alternating between them. If he's not "crawling" until he uses his knees, I wonder if he ever will as he's getting quite good at his own unique version of it, and looks pretty happy with what he's doing. He's into everything! We shut him in the lounge room most of the time now as it's pretty baby proof. I tried to sit out on the back lawn with him today and have a picnic lunch with him, but the baby chair came out so I could strap him in and keep him still. He got to explore the grass (and eat the leaves and chase the cat) after he demolished his first sandwich of swiss cheese with a tiny scraping of vegemite and butter.

Our boy is also 8 months old now (and a whopping 11kgs), and such a social little being. He loves to smile and laugh with people and will go to anyone. He especailly loves watching children, which generally tires him out enough for a good kip! He has developed such an affectionate nature too, and while I get the most cuddles and kisses (he loves to squeeze my neck tightly as he plants a big wet dribbly one on my lips... or bites my nose!), he will willingly share them around when you ask him to ("Kisses for Aunty Katy?") except sometimes when it comes to Dad he thinks it's a great game to pretend he's going to kiss him then snap his head away at the last minute.

He has become a tummy sleeper in the last week too, which might be why we have seen extended sleeps now. He rolls straight over and tucks his arms under him and then nods off into a deep slumber. We know that when he's on his tum, he will generally sleep longer than when he falls asleep on his back.

No comments: